In 1920, Adelaide had numerous licensed hotels, but with a few exceptions they concentrated on bar trade and provided only limited residential accommodation. The only alternative then available to the visitor, was the Coffee Palace and the Boarding House. A few men recognized the need for a large, non licensed Hotel, providing good accommodation at a reasonable tariff, hence the arrival of The Grosvenor Hotel.
The site of the Hotel was purchased opposite the Adelaide railway Station for $40,000. ON the land stood the three storey Federal Coffee Palace which was demolished to enable construction. The Grosvenor hotel opened its doors in February 1920, it was 4 storeys high, with 368 bedrooms with very limited rooms having ensuite facilities. Guests utilized shared toilet and bathroom facilities on each floor. To mark the opening, which coincided with the visit of the then Prince of Wales, the Grosvenor became the fourth largest Hotel in Australia.
In the early years of the Hotels existence, the Grosvenor was home to civilian refugees and their families from Malay and the Dutch East Indies during world War II and even billeted over 150 American troops in April 1942 for up to 6 months. The Hotel has also welcomed a number of key dignitaries and VIP’s over the years including Mr John Curtin, during his time as Prime Minister, Mr. Harry Hopman, the Bolshoi Ballet.
In 1954, land adjoining the southern side of the original building was purchased at a cost of $75,000 and a modern addition known as the New Wing, and later changed to the South Wing, was erected. Completed in 1957, compromising of two basements, two floors to rent to business firms and the four upper storey’s providing the first ensuite accommodation of 64 rooms.
In 1977 the entire first floor of the Hotel, which comprised of bedrooms was reconstructed to provide convention facilities at a cost of $2.5 million.
In December 2003 the Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide changed it’s name to the Mercure Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide, as now managed by Accor Hospitality. Following extensive refurbishment, new operating procudres and change of management in the past two decades, the Mercure Grosvenor Hotel Adelaide with 181 guestrooms and suites, blends fresh contemporary style with old-world charm.